Nigeria has recorded 649 new cases of COVID-19 pandemic, bringing the total number of infections in the country, as at June 24, to 22,020. The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) made this known on Wednesday through its official Twitter handle.
NCDC said that the 649 new confirmed cases were from 23 states, with nine deaths as at June 24. The health agency said that no new state reported a case in the last 24 hours. The NCDC said that Lagos still remained the epicenter of COVID-19, recording the highest number of 250 new cases, followed by Oyo state with 100 new infections.
Others were: Plateau-40; Delta-40; Abia-28; Kaduna-27; Ogun-22; Edo-20; Akwa Ibom-18; Kwara-17; FCT-17; Enugu-14; Niger-13; Adamawa-13; Bayelsa-7; Osun-6; Bauchi-6; Anambra-4; Gombe-3; Sokoto-2; while Imo and Kano have one each.
The NCDC said that till date, 22,020 cases had been confirmed with 13, 867 active cases; 7,613 cases treated and discharged; 120,108 samples collected and 542 deaths recorded in 35 states and the Federal Capital Territory. The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that it takes two to 14 days for people who are infected with COVID-19 to develop symptoms.
The NCDC said that most infected persons have little or no symptoms, but could spread the disease to others. It stated that COVID-19 spreads very fast, urging Nigerians to take all the necessary precautions to prevent it. (NAN)
Chelsea ends Victor Moses’ loan spell at Inter Milan
It appears Victor Moses is on his way back to Stamford Bridge as Chelsea has reportedly refused to extend his stay with Serie A giants, Inter Milan; demanding that Moses should return to London at the end of the Serie A season next month.
Speaking to Inter’s Match-day program yesterday before the game against Sassuolo, the former Nigerian star was emotional when he said his intention was to remain at Inter in order to win laurels with Coach Antonio Conte and the fans at San Siro. This prospect now appears dim with the directive from Stamford Bridge. “I love football, it’s been my passion since I was a child,” he explained.
“It’s in my blood and what I love doing. The turning point of my career came when I made my debut with Crystal Palace when I was 16. I entered the pitch and the atmosphere was incredible. It made me think that football was my reason for living, something where I could give everything with 100 percent commitment,” Moses said.
According to Sky Sport Italia, the Serie A giants look set to lose the Nigerian and Alexis Sanchez before the end of their season because aside Chelsea, Manchester United are also yet to approve the extended stay of their forward in Italy.
Both players have been on loan at the San Siro this term and have agreed deals with their respective Premier League clubs to allow them to complete the Serie A campaign. It was learnt that the agreement does not include playing in the Europa League, which is set to be concluded in August.
Inter are set to play Spanish side Getafe in the last-16 of the competition, which will commence when the Italian league season has ended. Moses is also set to return to his club, with the Chelsea man’s loan agreement coming to an end after the Serie A season.
Inter Milan’s coach, Antonio Conte is understood to be desperate to reach an agreement with both United and the Blues to allow the two players to feature in European competition as he looks to secure the trophy. It was reported that Inter’s CEO Beppe Marotta is working hard behind the scenes to reach an agreement with the two English clubs, which would involve giving them further compensations for the use of their players.
Inter are also still within the range of winning the Serie A, although they must make up a nine pint gap to leaders Juventus. They however still have a game in hand. Inter welcomed Sassuolo to the San Siro last night, while second-placed Lazio were also in action at Atalanta Bergamo.