In what seem like retaliation for many of the several defeats they have suffered in the hands of the Multinational troops, the Islamic extremist sect terrorising the north-eastern part of Nigeria, Boko Haram has killed 11 people in an attack on Gamboru after reportedly killing scores of women in nearby Bama.
According to eyewitnesses, the insurgents began the retaliatory offensive on Wednesday.
"Boko Haram gunmen returned on motorcycles to Gamboru on Wednesday and killed about eight people,” a witness said.
Gamboru is one of the cities from which the multinational troops had sacked the insurgents earlier in the weeks. The return of the insurgents to the city has been linked to the withdrawal of the Chadian Army from the location after escorting the town’s people back to the town when they had earlier conquered the insurgents holding forte there.
Military sources had indicated when about 2500 Chadian soldiers withdrew from Gamboru, that they were being redeployed for more offensive against the insurgents from another point.
Preceeding reports of the Gamboru attack, many women who were forcefully married by the terrorists have been reportedly killed by their terrorist husbands.
Witnesses said the terrorists made the gory move in order to avoid being separated from the women as news of advancing soldiers has continued to send jitters down their spines.
"The terrorists said they will not allow their wives to be married to infidels," another witness said.
Boko Haram forcibly married scores of women in Bama after seizing it in September. Nigeria's military announced the recapture of the town on Monday.
The killing of women began 10 days before Bama was liberated, witnesses said. The vigilante corps confirmed that several dead bodies of women were found littering the town.
No official statement has been issued to confirm the deaths.
Meanwhile, President Goodluck Jonathan has reiterated that he would never allow any part of Nigeria’s territory to be seized by terrorists again. He promised that the terrorist group which has killed more than 13000 Nigerians would be resisted in every way.
Jonathan made the promise in Damaturu, the capital of Yobe State during a campaign on Thursday.
The president said: “As I speak, I am so happy to announce that Yobe has been freed of Boko Haram as all terrorists’ towns earlier under the control of the sect members have been recaptured by our able troops and we will henceforth resist any attempt by the sect members or any group to take control of any territory.
“Boko Haram has been causing havoc to innocent people and destroying various communities, but they will soon become a thing of the past. It is unfortunate that our brothers and sisters have turned mad against us and have left us with these sad memories.”
Jonathan later promised that he will ensure that all those who have been affected by the activities of the insurgents will be adequately rehabilitated.
He urged residents of the state to come out en masse to vote for PDP on the election days. He said that this is the only way by which the gains of democracy from his administration can be consolidated.
In his own speech, Vice President Sambo called on the people of the north east to vote for PDP, which has returned rail transport up to Gombe and assured that as the war against the insurgency is gradually being won, it will be extended to Yobe and Maiduguri the Borno state capital.
Adamu Maina Waziri, the gubernatorial candidate of the party in the Yobe thanked the President and his entourage for the visit. He assured the president that Yobe State will be delivered to the PDP.